Monday, February 13, 2012

Lincoln's Birthday

Due to President Lincoln's birthday yesterday, the Harold Washington was closed and so was History Fair. So I thought I'd use this post to list some of the interesting projects some of the students are working on:
- The affects of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle 
- Frank Lloyd Wright's transformation of Oak Park
- 1968 Democratic National Convention (I've already come across about 5 students who are working on this same topic.)
- Race riots in early 20th century Chicago
- the Eight Hour Working Day Movement
- Jane Addams and the Hull House
- Boarding houses for girls in late 19th century Chicago
- the Haymarket Affair (another popular topic)
- the Iroquois Theater Fire
- the Great Chicago Fire (Surprisingly, I've only come across one student working on this one- many teachers have asked students to find other topics since the Fire is considered "over-done.")
- the Advent of the El
- Bozo the Clown and children's radio and television programming (When I first heard about this topic I had no idea that Bozo the Clown had such an impact on children's programming in Chicago and the rest of the country!)

No comments:

Post a Comment